Big Bummit 2018: Terms and Conditions
Your ticket £75
The ticket price includes the following:
- A place on the trip (26th March - 3rd April);
- A goody bag containing a Bummit T-shirt, the Big Bummit Bible (which will include a map, information on the hostels, the halfway party, the end party, the safety number, etc.) and much more;
- Accommodation and entrance to the end party in the halfway city;
- Accommodation and entrance to the end party in Split;
- A meal in Split before the night out;
- Invitation to all pre- and post-event socials, including ‘team mating’ events;
- Public Liability and Travel Insurance (please see ‘Additional Information’ for details of each trip’s travel insurance dates);
- Guidance on how to fundraise and opportunities for fundraising.
The ticket price DOES NOT include the following:
- Return transport from Split; we recommend you book a flight in advance.
- Insurance past the day following your trip end party or insurance for travel outside of the EU
N.B Please note that if you choose to hitchhike back from Split, your insurance will not cover this and Bummit and the University of Sheffield Students’ Union accept no responsibility for you. Bummit finishes after the end party.
Your £250 sponsorship
The minimum sponsorship is £250, and we require 2 cheques for £125 to be handed in to the Activities Zone (level 3 in the Students’ Union, next to Coffee Revolution) (Mon-Fri 10am-6pm) within one week of ticket purchase as a guarantee, or alternatively by the latest 27th February. The cheques should be made out to ‘Sheffield Students Union’ and should give your name and trip number on the reverse. Cash is also acceptable as a deposit if you cannot obtain cheque but cannot be handed in at the Activities Zone desk. Please email email@example.com for details of how to hand in cash sponsorship deposits.
The £250 sponsorship must be raised before 5th May 2018. If you are unsuccessful in raising the minimum sponsorship before midday of this day, then we will cash your sponsorship cheques. If you have raised the minimum (or more!) then the cheques will be shredded. Warning emails will be sent out before this happens reminding you of the deadline, and the fundraising pack also contains information and tips to help you to raise the full amount. The fundraising pack will be sent out via email; you must follow the instructions and set up your online donations page with Virgin Money Giving, through RAG and the Bummit event, in order for your sponsorship to come through to us. If you have failed to do this you may be required to raise additional funds or risk losing your fundraising deposit or not being allowed on future events.
The £250 does not include gift aid, which is used to fund the administration of Sheffield RAG.
Your safety and well-being is of the utmost importance to us, so please pay close attention to the following:
- YOU MUST ATTEND THE SAFETY MEETING. This is mandatory and failure to attend means you can’t take part. Please ensure you check your emails for information and updates from the Bummit Committee. It is your responsibility to do this.
- You must register on the Bummit website (www.bummit.co.uk) to validate your ticket and to be covered by the insurance. Please do this as soon as you can AFTER buying a ticket. DO NOT register BEFORE buying a ticket.
- Each team is required to check in by phone with a Bummit team stationed in Sheffield, within a designated 2 hour time frame each day. If a team has not checked in, they will be called by the team until they give an update on their situation. You will also be required to text check-in your location at the end of each day. This is the minimum you will be required to check in and may be asked to check in more regularly. You must follow any requirement made by bummit for additional check ins which will be explained to you before the event.
- We advise you to take a note of a registration plate of each car you get into and message it to the safety phone if you feel unsafe.
- If you have an emergency, there is a 24-hour safety line run by an experienced Committee member with the support of the Students’ Union and University. This will be available for you to call all throughout the trip.
- It is illegal to hitchhike on the motorway and the Sheffield Parkway. People have been picked up by the police in the past for trying to hitchhike off the Parkway roundabout, so try to avoid being dropped there.
- You must remain inside the EU at all times during the trip as the insurance will not cover you outside the EU.
- You must hitchhike in groups of 2-3, including one male member who must be first in and last out of each vehicle. The exception is if you require a Schengen visa to participate in the trip you must have 3 members in your team and at least one male who does not require a visa.
- We advise each team, preferably each member, to bring a first aid kit.
- Do not separate from your teammates during the hitch. Splitting up or switching teams during the hitch is not permitted. If you have a problem with your team, call the safety phone.
- We recommend that all participants have enough money in their account to get them home on public transport in case of emergencies.
- Please remember to keep your mobile phone charged and switched on at all times throughout the trip, with enough credit to check in and make emergency calls.
- We recommend that you do not take valuable items, since your trip is not covered for personal loss or theft. However, we do hold extended public liability insurance for the event with Endsleigh and purchase travel insurance for each participant.
We employ a staff member who oversees our events. If you or your family have any questions about safety procedure, feel free to contact Sian Ellis by calling 0114 222 8546 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whilst you are on the trip, please be aware that you are representing the University of Sheffield and Bummit, so use your common sense!
- If it is proven that you have caused damage on the trip resulting in compensation being paid by Bummit, you will be invoiced for the cost after the event.
- All participants are required to have travel insurance that covers them for the entire time they are out of the UK. Bummit will provide travel insurance that covers you from 26th March 2018 to 3rd April 2018 as part of your ticket price. If you are continuing your travels outside of the dates of the trip then you MUST obtain your own insurance to cover the entirety of your travels and return.
- By purchasing a ticket for the Bummit trip you are confirming that you are either exempt from requiring a Schengen Visa to travel throughout the Schengen zone or that you have obtained a confirmed Visa that covers your time and travel throughout the trip and can provide evidence of your visa if required.
- If for some reason you are unable to participate in Bummit and wish to drop out, the ticket price is non-refundable as per Union policy, although you can find someone to buy your ticket from you and take your place on the trip, if this is the case please let a member of the committee know as soon as possible. If you drop out from the 21st February onwards, your sponsorship cheques will be cashed; before this date the cheques will not be cashed but we are legally not able to return any money raised, this will be donated to charity as planned.
- Bummit has never been cancelled, but in the unlikely situation that this were to happen, we cannot refund ticket prices in full, since some things will already have been paid for (deposits, insurance, goody bags, etc.) It might be possible for us to partially refund tickets if we can recover some of these costs, but we cannot guarantee anything. If the trip is set to be cancelled due to factors outside of our control, such as bad weather, we will first try to rearrange the event or find an alternative route. We will always strive to make the best decisions on behalf of our members.
- You must be a current student of the University of Sheffield to be insured and therefore participate in Bummit. On the morning of the trip, you must present your University of Sheffield student card to prove this.
- By buying a ticket you are agreeing to raise a minimum of £250.
- The committee will do everything in their power to find you teammates, including hitching with you if no team is found.
- If you have any disability or mental health issue that could affect you while you are on the event, please let us know. We want to support all students involved in our event in every way we can but can only do this if we are fully informed.
- Bummit reserves the right to require at least one member from each team to download a mobile app or relevant tracking service that is accessible to them at all times during the trip. If this is required you will be informed before the trip. The primary motivation will be health and safety and the ability for us to track participant’s locations for the duration of the event only. By buying a ticket you are agreeing that in this eventuality you will download the specified app and grant bummit the relevant permissions to access your location.
- This event is run by the Bummit committee within the University of Sheffield Students’ Union.